CURRENT ECONOMIC PLANS
SECOND TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: ECONOMICS CLASS: SS 3
SCHEME OF WORK
CURRENT ECONOMIC PLANS
CURRENT ECONOMIC PLANS
- MEANING AND OBJECTIVE OF MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOAL
- MEANING AND OBJECTIVE OF NEEDS
- MEANING AND OBJECTIVE OF VISION 2020
The millennium development plans are eight international development goal that were officially established following the millennium summit of the United Nations in 2000.
OBJECTIVE OF MDGs
Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger.
Target 1: Half of the population between 1990 -2015 whose income is less than one dollar a day be reduced.
Target 2: Half of the population that suffers from hunger be reduced
GOAL 2: Achieve Universal Primary Education
Target 3: To ensure that by 2015 all children are enrolled and have completed primary education.
GOAL 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
Target 4. Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education, preferably by 2005 and to all levels of education not later than 2015.
GOAL 4 Reduce child mortality rate.
Target 5. Reduce by two-thirds between 1990 and 2015 the under five mortality rate.
GOAL 5. Improve maternal health.
Target 6. Reduce by three quarter between 1990 and 2015, the maternal mortality rate.
GOAL 6.Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases.
Target 7. Have halted by 2015 and begun to reverse the spread of HIV/AIDS.
Target 8. Have halted by 2015 and begun to reverse the incidence of malaria and other major diseases.
GOAL 7. Ensure environmental sustainability.
Target 9. Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes and reverse the loss of environmental resources.
Target 10. Halve by 2015 the proportional of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water.
Target 11.By 2020 to have achieved a significant improvement in the lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers.
GOAL 8. Develop a global partnership for development.
Target 12. Deal comprehensively with the debt problems of developing countries through national and international measures in order to make debt sustainable in the long term.
Target 13. In cooperation with the private sector make available the benefits of new technologies, especially information and communication.
NATIONAL ECONOMICS EMPOWERMENT AND DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES ( NEEDS)
NEEDS is derived from the urgent requirement for value orientation, the objective of which is to sound the message clearly that is not business as usual. Therefore the bedrock of NEEDS is its vision of a Nigeria with a new set of values and principles which will facilitate the achievements of national goals of wealth creation, employment generation and poverty reduction.
OBJECTIVES OF NEEDS
NEEDS is therefore fashioning for Nigeria, a common ground for all economic agents to interplay in a healthy and sustainable manner. The objectives are mainly in threefold;
- Poverty Reduction
- Employment Generation
- Wealth Creation.
- State five objectives of millennium development goals.
- State three objectives of NEEDS.
It is stated in the document VISION 2020Economic Transformation blueprint (2009) that by the year 2020, Nigeria would have a large, strong, diversified, sustainable and competitive economy that effectively harnesses the talents and energies of its people and responsibly exploits its natural endowments guarantee a high standards of living and quality of life to its citizens. In order to achieved this according to the same vision statement, a Gross Domestic Product of not less than &900 billion is required.
OBJECTIVES OF VISION 2020
- The social dimension: It envisions an equal society that can sustain a life expectancy of at least 70 years.
- The economic dimension: It envisages a vibrant economy whose manufacturing sector can contribute atleast 25% to Gross Domestic Product.
- The institutional dimension: Expects a state democracy.
- While the environmental dimension envisions effective management of our natural environments. It is pretty clear from the objectives that the vision 2020 is a grandiose adventure.
- Discuss vision 2020
- Mention four objectives of vision 2020.
- Essential Economics for SSS by C E Ande page 423-429.
- Amplified and Simplified for SSS by Femi Longe
- The objectives of NEEDs include all but ____ A. poverty reduction B. employment generation C. wealth creation D. scarcity.
- The life expectancy ratio stated in Vision 2020 is ____ A. 60years B. 87years C. 70years D.50years.
- The seven point agenda proposed to increase power and energy to ____ A. 60,000 MW B. 100,000 MW C. 26000 MW D. 20000MW.
- Which of the following is Millennium Goal (MDG)? A. Attracting foreign direct investment B. Eradication of extreme poverty and hunger C. Increasing capital flows through debt reduction D. To guarantee Africa’s renewal.
- The seven point agenda includes all except ____ A. land reform B. food security C. mass transportation. D. insecurity.
- Discuss the Millennium Development Goal.
- Describe the Seven Point Agenda.
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) were eight international development goals established by the United Nations in 2000. The goals focused on eradicating poverty and hunger, achieving universal primary education, promoting gender equality, reducing child mortality, improving maternal health, combating HIV/AIDS, ensuring environmental sustainability, and developing global partnerships for development.
The main objective of the MDGs was to reduce poverty and improve the living conditions of people in developing countries. The goals were designed to be measurable and achievable, with a deadline of 2015. The MDGs were widely recognized as an important step towards improving global development and helped to mobilize resources and focus efforts towards achieving common development objectives.
MEANING AND OBJECTIVE OF NEEDS:
Needs refer to the basic requirements that are essential for survival and well-being. These can include food, shelter, clothing, healthcare, education, and employment. The objective of addressing needs is to ensure that people have access to the basic resources and services that are necessary for them to live healthy, productive lives.
Meeting the needs of people is an important aspect of development, as it can help to reduce poverty and improve living conditions. Addressing needs requires a focus on providing basic services and infrastructure, promoting economic growth and development, and ensuring that people have access to education and healthcare.
MEANING AND OBJECTIVE OF VISION 2020:
Vision 2020 is a development plan for Nigeria that was launched in 2009 with the aim of transforming the country into a fully developed, industrialized nation by the year 2020. The objective of Vision 2020 is to accelerate the economic growth and development of Nigeria, reduce poverty and inequality, and improve the standard of living for all Nigerians.
The key areas of focus for Vision 2020 include improving the quality of education, promoting the development of small and medium-sized enterprises, increasing investment in infrastructure, promoting agricultural development, and improving access to healthcare. The goal of Vision 2020 is to create a strong, diversified economy that is capable of competing globally and providing opportunities for all Nigerians
- When was the Millennium Development Goals established? a) 1985 b) 1990 c) 2000 d) 2005
Answer: c) 2000
- How many goals were set under the Millennium Development Goals? a) 5 b) 8 c) 10 d) 12
Answer: b) 8
- Which of the following is NOT a goal of the Millennium Development Goals? a) Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger b) Achieve universal primary education c) Combat climate change d) Promote gender equality and empower women
Answer: c) Combat climate change
- What is the objective of Needs assessment? a) To identify the resources available for a project b) To determine the needs and priorities of a community or organization c) To evaluate the impact of a project d) To develop a project plan
Answer: b) To determine the needs and priorities of a community or organization
- What is the primary goal of Needs assessment? a) To ensure accountability of project funds b) To meet the wants of stakeholders c) To address the needs of a community or organization d) To maximize profit
Answer: c) To address the needs of a community or organization
- When was the Vision 2020 program launched in Nigeria? a) 1995 b) 2000 c) 2005 d) 2010
Answer: b) 2000
- What is the main objective of Vision 2020 in Nigeria? a) To make Nigeria one of the top 20 economies in the world by 2020 b) To eliminate corruption in Nigeria by 2020 c) To achieve universal healthcare coverage in Nigeria by 2020 d) To achieve gender equality in Nigeria by 2020
Answer: a) To make Nigeria one of the top 20 economies in the world by 2020
- What is the primary focus of Vision 2020 in Nigeria? a) Economic growth and development b) Social justice and equality c) Environmental sustainability d) Human rights protection
Answer: a) Economic growth and development
- Which of the following is NOT a component of Vision 2020 in Nigeria? a) National Planning Commission b) National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy c) Vision 2020 Implementation Committee d) National Council on Population and Development
Answer: d) National Council on Population and Development
- What is the significance of Vision 2020 in Nigeria? a) It has led to a significant improvement in Nigeria’s economy b) It has contributed to the reduction of poverty and inequality in Nigeria c) It has inspired other African countries to launch similar development programs d) It has been criticized for its lack of effective implementation and impact
Answer: d) It has been criticized for its lack of effective implementation and impact
- 2003 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2004 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2005 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2006 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2007 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
Lesson Plan Presentation
Title: Meaning and Objective of Millennium Development Goal, Needs, and Vision 2020
Grade level: SS 3
- To understand the concept of Millennium Development Goal, Needs, and Vision 2020.
- To identify the objectives of each of these concepts.
- To recognize the importance of these concepts in global development.
- Whiteboard and markers
- Projector and screen
- Handouts on the topic
- Videos and audio clips related to the topic
- Introduce the topic and the objectives of the lesson.
- Engage the students in a brief discussion on their knowledge of the concepts.
- Explain each concept in detail, using real-life examples and visuals to aid understanding.
- Discuss the objectives of each concept and how they contribute to global development.
- Encourage students to ask questions and contribute to the discussion.
- Divide the students into groups and assign each group to research one of the concepts.
- Each group should prepare a presentation to the class on their findings, including examples of how the concept has been implemented in different countries.
- The presentations should include visuals, such as graphs, charts, and images.
- Summarize the key points of the lesson.
- Emphasize the importance of these concepts in global development.
- Encourage students to think critically about how they can contribute to achieving these objectives.
- Students will be assessed based on their participation in the discussion and group presentation.
- The teacher will also assess the students’ understanding of the concepts through a written test or quiz
Weekly Assessment /Test
- What is the Millennium Development Goal (MDG)?
- What was the objective of the MDG?
- Can you mention any of the eight MDGs?
- What is the meaning of needs?
- What is the objective of needs?
- How can needs be met?
- What is Vision 2020?
- What was the objective of Vision 2020?
- Which country was the Vision 2020 initiative launched in?
- How does Vision 2020 aim to improve the country’s economy and infrastructure?