INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (1)
SCHEME OF WORK WITH LESSON NOTES
JSS 2 (BASIC 8)
The pupils have previous knowledge of
Introduction to Keyboarding: (i) The meaning of keyboarding (ii) The importance of keyboarding (iii) Correct sitting posture for keyboarding.
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (1)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- define analogue computer communication system
- explain digital computer communication system
- write out the merits and demerits of analogue and Digital Communication system
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching:
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Topic: Information and Communication Technology (1)
- Analogue and Digital Communication system
- The merits and demerits of analogue and Digital Communication system
Information has been very important in business, politics, education and sports in particular and all walks of life in general. Several research works have been done on ways to improve communication of information from one location to another (point-to-point) and from location to many locations (point-to-multipoint). The technology for transferring information started with analog communication systems and it has now been improved to digital communication systems which offers efficiency, better performance and greater flexibility.
Analog and Digital Communication Systems
Analog communication systems can send along signals from one location to another or from one location to many locations. An analog signal is a continuously varying waveform that is similar to a voice or sound wave. One of the signals used in analog communication is Amplitude Modulation Radio Signal.
Digital communication systems can transmit real valued discrete time signals. A digital signal is a sequence of discrete pulses of 1’s and 0’s. Global system for mobile communication (G.S.M) signal is an example of digital communication system.
Although analog systems are less expensive in many cases than digital ones for the same application, digital systems offer greater efficiency, better performance and greater flexibility.
In addition to digital communication’s ability to transmit a variety of signals than analog systems, point-to-point digital systems can be organized into global systems that provide efficient and flexible information transmission.
Digital. Analog. The block diagram on the top shows the blocks common to all communication systems.
The Merits and Demerits of Analog and Digital Communication System
Advantages of Digital Communication System
- Less expensive
- More reliable
- Easy to manipulate
- Compatibility with other digital systems
- Only digitized information can be transported through a noisy channel without degradation
- Integrated networks
Disadvantages of Digital Communication System
- Sampling Error
- Digital communications require greater bandwidth than analogue to transmit the same information.
- The detection of digital signals requires the communications system to be synchronized, whereas generally speaking this is not the case with analogue systems.
Advantages of Analogue Communication System
- Uses less bandwidth
- More accurate
Disadvantages of Analogue Communication System
- The effects of random noise can make signal loss and distortion impossible to recover.
- Difference between Analog and Digital communication system?
- List five merits of digital communication systems?
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
Teacher and Students Interactions
Teacher : What is the information technology?
Teacher: Mention the types of communication that you know?
Teacher: What is digital communication
Teacher: What is analogue communication?
Teacher: What are the other functions of the keyboard
Teacher: State the other function that the interactive keyboard can be used for
Let the students come with a laptop for practical purposes or preferably they can go and do the practical in the computer room
The class teacher wraps up or concludes the lesson by giving out a short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she makes the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is an analogue communication system?
- What is a digital communication system?
- List three important things of keyboarding.
- Write out three advantages of digital communication systems.
- List the home keys.
- List and briefly explain three guidelines to consider in a when setting up a digital communication system
- Mention four merits of analogue communication systems.