Primary 4 / Basic 4 / Grade 4 /Year 4
Previous lesson : Pupils have previous knowledge of
Why we have different culture and Tradition
that was taught in their previous lesson
Meaning and components of civic education
Behavioural objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- Explain the ,meaning of Civic Education
- Explain the importance of civic education
- Says way that civic education can help us to become better citizens
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Meaning of Civic education
Civic education is a subject that studies our rights, duties and responsibilities as members of our community.
The following are components of civic education:
1. Our rights: These are those things which we should enjoy as citizens of Nigeria. For example, we have the right to vote during elections and we have the right to be voted for too. Also, we have the right to freedom of movement.
2. Our responsibilities: This refers to those things which we should do to make our country great. For example, we must pay taxes to the government.
3. Talent and fulfillment: In civic education, we learn that we should use our talents to serve our country. For example, talented footballers are lifting up the great name of the country with their talent.
4. Freedom of the citizen: Civic education makes us understand that we are free s Nigerians. We enjoy the freedom to do what we wish, so long as it is within the law.
5. Open mindedness: We should accept new ideas and make progress. For example, we should look for better and easier ways of doing things so that life will be better for all Nigerians.
We can get new ideas from books, magazines, the Internet, telephones and many other avenues.
What are the Importance Of Civic Education
- Civic Education makes us to become better citizens of the society
- It makes us to know our rights , duties and privileges as a citizen of a country
- Civic Education makes us to know our civic duties like being law abiding , paying of taxes , obeying traffic rules etc
- It makes people to be aware of their social being
- People become more aware in the affairs and governing of the state matters
- There is orderliness in the society
- Peace reigns in the society if the rights of every member is protected and guaranteed
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- Explain 5 importance of civic education
- List 4 and explain any two benefits or importance of civic education
- What are the essence of studying civic education in Nigerian . Mention four
- What are rights