SECOND TERM E-LEARNING NOTES
SUBJECT: CHEMISTRY CLASS: SS3
SUMMER SCHOOL TOPICS
1. Alkanoic acids: Sources, nomenclature and structure of alkanoic acid, physical and chemical properties, laboratory test and uses
2. Alkanoates: sources, nomenclature, preparation and structure, physical and chemical properties and uses
3. Fats and Oils: sources, properties, structure of fats and oils, and uses
4. Soaps and Detergents: preparation of soap, action of soap as an emulsifying agent, detergent-preparation, mode of action of detergent, differences between soap and detergents.
SS 3 TOPICS AND THEIR ORDER OF PRIORITY
1. Giant Molecules: Carbohydrate-sources and nomenclature, Properties, carbohydrate as polymer, uses.
2. Giant Molecules: protein, sources and properties, test for protein, uses of protein, enzymes and they functions.
3. Synthetic polymers: Definition of terms, Addition and condensation polymerization, classification and preparation, properties and uses of polymers.
4. Nuclear Chemistry (Radioactivity): Types and nature of radiation, difference between chemical and nuclear reactions, half-life, application or use of nuclear chemistry.
5. Extraction of Metals (Group I) and their Compounds: Relative abundance and chemical characteristics of metals, compounds of metals and principles of extraction of metals sodium-Extraction, Properties, compounds of sodium and uses of sodium
6. Extraction of Metals (Group II) and their Compounds: General properties, calcium- extraction of calcium, properties calcium, compounds of calcium, uses.
7. Extraction of Iron and Aluminium: Extraction of iron, aluminium, and Tin, properties and uses, Alloys
8. Atomic Theory: Gross features of the atom – J.J. Thompson’s experiment and Bohr’s model of the atom, outline description of the Rutherford’s alpha scattering experiment.
9. Ethical, Legal and Social Issues: Chemical waste, industrial pollutants, roles of government in preventing chemical degradation
(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)