Subject : Health Habits
Topic : Causes of Diseases
Class : Nursery 1
Term : First Term
Week : Week 2
Instructional Materials :
- Poster showing sick children
- Pictures showing healthy pupils
- Story books
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have previous knowledge of
Illness / Diseases
Behavioural Objectives : By the end of the lesson, the learners will be able to
- list the causes of diseases
- discuss causes of diseases
- say how to avoid illness or diseases
Causes of Diseases
Drinking dirty water can cause diseases or illness .
Eating unripe fruits can cause diseases or illness .
Eating with dirty plates , fork or spoons can make us to the sick , weak or ill .
Picking food from the floor may be unhealthy and unhygienic for us .
Sleeping in a dirty stuffy unkempt room may lead to poor ventilation or illness
We must get ride of stagnant water from our environment .
We must not litter the floor with pieces of paper ,nylon or dirt .
We must always make use of the waste paper basket .
Our drainage system (gutter ) must always be clean
What may happen to us if our environment and surroundings are dirty
.1. We may fall sick.
2. Mosquitoes may give us sleeplessness
3. sleeplessness may lead to disorder
4. Disorder may lead to sickness .
5.Sickness that is not well identified or treated may led to _________
How to avoid common illness or diseases
.1. Make sure that our environment is always clean
2. Always make use of the waste paper basket bin
3. Do not drink dirty water .
4. Do not eat with dirty plates or spoons .
5. Cover coughs and sneezes. …
6. Do not pick up food particles from the ground
7. Eat healthy and exercise regularly. …
8. Start good habits early
9. Always wear your face or nose masks
10. Use your sanitizers always
Necessary Steps To Talk When A child or pupil is ill
Refer children for treatment when necessary to appropriate health centres that are very close to you or if you are living on the island , then you may visit Massey Street Children’s Hospital Lagos Island
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
,1. Can picking up food from the ground cause disease ? _____________ ( True , False )
2. can drinking dirty water cause disease ? _____________ ( True , False )
3. We must always wash our hands after using the toilet _______ ( True , False , Not sure )
4. Can littering the floor cause disease ? _____________ ( True , False )
5. When we have headache , we must tell our teachers or parents ______ _ ( True , False , Not sure )
6. Can washing your hands regularly cause disease ? _____________ ( True , False )
7 Can sleeping eight hours in a day cause disease or illness ? _____________ ( True , False )
8. Can biting your fingernails with your teeth cause disease or illness ? _____________ ( True , False )
9. Can sweeping our room neat everyday cause disease or illness ? _____________ ( True , False )
10 . can praying to God always cause disease or illness ? _____________ ( True , False )
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.