FIRST TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE
CLASS: JSS 3
- Meaning of Bush.
- Practices that Influence Bush Burning.
- Effects of Bush Burning.
- Control of Bush Burning.
MEANING OF BUSH BURNING
Bush burning is the agricultural practice that involve the that involving the clearing and burning of bush. It is a common practice in west Africa. Although it is a quick way of getting rid of the weeds, it is considered a type of environmental hazard.
PRACTICES THAT INFLUENCE BUSH BURNING
- Bush burning is done as a method of hunting.
- Bush burning is used as a method of wedding.
- Bush burning is used to stimulate the growth of fresh grasses during dry season.
- The burning of refuse can influence bush burning.
- What is bush burning?
- State five practices that promote bush burning.
EFFECTS OF BUSH BURNING
- Bush burning spreads rapidly and can destroy economic crops.
- Bush burning exposes the soil to erosion which wash away soil nutrient.
- When bush burning is not controlled it may lead to loss of valuable properties.
- Bush burning and forest fire leads the destruction of wildlife.
- Bush burning is a major source of air pollution.
- Bush burning contributes to the depletion of the ozone layer.
- Bush burning lead to loss of soil nutrients.
CONTROL OF BUSH BURNING
Environmental laws are made to guide against indiscriminate bush burning and anyone caught will be prosecuted. It is against the law to burn bushes.
The burning of bushes can be controlled through the following ways:
- Establishment of agencies to control, prevent and monitor bush burning in Nigeria. Some of these agencies include; Federal Environmental protection agency (FEPA), Lagos state environmental protection agency (LASEPA), National Forest Conservation Council of Nigeria (NAFCON)
- Ministries of environment are established to control and regulate environmental activities that may cause disaster
- Laws are enacted by the government to control bush burning.
- Agencies should educate the masses about the effects of bush burning.
- Mass media should be used to enlighten people on how to control bush burning.
- List five methods of controlling bush burning.
- State five effects of bush burning.
- What is desertification?
- State the differences between bush burning and desertification.
- What are the practices that lead to bush burning?
- List the types of habitat you know.
- Why is man a higher animal?
- Which of the following is not a cause of bush burning in Nigeria? Smoking B. Hunting game C. Farming activities D. Afforestation
- Bush burning can be prevented through the following activities except
- Establishing game reserves B. Hunting games C. Establishing of agencies D. Cultivation of a piece of land for farming.
- The following are effects of bush burning except loss of forest trees
- Loss of soil fertility C. Absence of air pollution D. Killing of wildlife
- Which of the following is not an agency of environmental protection?
- LASEPA B. FEPA C. UNICEF D. NAFCON
- Which of the following causes air pollution in an area where there is bush burning? Heat B. Smoke C. Ash D. Sand
- Name five things that can be destroyed through bush burning.
- Name three agencies that regulate bush burning in Nigeria.
(Visited 128 times, 2 visits today)