FIRST TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE
CLASS: JSS 3
RESOURCES FROM NONLIVING THINGS (SOLID MINERALS)
- Mineral Resources.
- Some Mineral Resources, their Location and Uses.
- General Importance of Mineral Resources.
Mineral resources are resources deposited in the earth crust for the benefit of man. A mineral can exist as a single element or as a compound. It could also be deposited in a solid or liquid state. Often, solid minerals are deposited in the earth as ore. An ore is a compound of a useful element that is found deposited in the earth.
Some mineral resources, their location and their uses in Nigeria are given below
||Bida(Niger), Ondo, katsina, kebbi,
||Used for decoration and making jewelry, coinage, currency etc.
||Ogun, Gombe, Kaduna
||Used for making cement. Used as filter in paints.
||Kogi, Abia, Abuja, katsina
||Used for making ceramics and plates
||Plateau, Benue, Kogi, Anambra
||For making iron and steel. Also used for making alloys for various uses
||Bauchi, Benue, Akwa-Ibom, Abia, Anambra
||For making roofing sheets.
||Enugu, Benue, kogi, Ondo
||Used as fuel, used industrially to produce coal gas and iron.
||Plateau, Oyo, Osun, Kwara
||For refractory furnace, building materials.
||Cross river, Benue, Bauchi,
||Used for making battery.
||Cross rivers, Kaduna, plateau, Kano
||For making decorative lanterns, coating of lead and steel containers to prevent corrosion.
||Ondo, Edo, Lagos.
||It is used for tarring roads.
||Jigawa, katsina, kebbi, Niger, Osun, Oyo
||It is used in making glass and silica bricks; paint scouring, saops, sand paper, porcelain, paint.
||Plateau, Osun, Ogun, Kebbi, Cross river, Borno
||Used as electrical insulator, telephone condensers. Used as filters in production of tyres and tubes
||Almost all state of the federation.
||Used for building bricks, flower pots, floor tiles, fencing brickss
||Rivers, Niger, Ekiti, cross Rivers, Bayelsa, Abia
||It is used for making bottles, synthetic Mable and other glass wares.
MINERAL RESOURCES AND THEIR LOCATION IN NIGERIA
- What are natural resources?
- What are mineral resources?
- State five mineral resources, their location and importance.
GENERAL IMPORTANCE OF MINERAL RESOURCE
- It serve as a source of income for the state and country.
- They are raw materials for industries.
- They are required construction of roads e.g. bitumen.
- They are used as source of fuel. E.g. coal.
- It brings about provision of employment and income for individuals.
- The availability of mineral resources makes life easier and more comfortable.
- The presence of mineral resources in a country brings fame to the country.
State five general importance of solid minerals.
- List seven resources that can be gotten from animals.
- What are mineral resources?
- State seven mineral resources their location in Nigeria and uses.
- What are the benefits of solid minerals?
- What’s is abstinence?
Precious Seeds Basic Science for JSS three by J.O Otugboyega et al. Chapter 18 Pages 105-109
- ____ is used for making cement Gold B. Limestone C. Coal D. Petroleum
- Solid minerals create the following except job opportunity B. machines C. income D. fame
- Bitumen is found in_____ Adamawa state B. Bornu state C. Edo state D. Taraba state
- Car batteries are made of ___ Salt B. Lead C. Coal D. Sand
- Roofing sheets are coated with Lead B. Zinc C. Coal D. Diamond
- Mention seven mineral resources, their location and their uses.
- Mention five uses of solid minerals.
Resources from Non-living Things: Solid Minerals, their Location and Importance