Prevention of STI’s, HIV\AIDS.
JSS 1 (BASIC 7)
SECOND TERM E-LEARNING NOTES
- Wall charts
- Online Resource
Methods of Teaching
- Role modelling
- Questions and Answers
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have been taught
Disease prevention Clean water
in their previous lesson
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- say the meaning of STDs
- explain the causes of STDs
- explain how STDs can be prevented
- explain IMMUNIZATION
- highlight the benefits of IMMUNIZATION
Topic: Prevention of STI’S, HIV/AIDS.
Content: 1. Definition of STI’s HIV\AIDS
- Safe age for reproduction.
- Abstinence, responsible sexual behavior
- Avoid use of unscreened blood, injection, needles and clippers.
Sub-Topic 1: Definition of STI’s HIV\AIDS.STI’S means sexually transmitted infections. These are diseases that can be contracted through sexual activities. Examples include gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, Chlamydia, Candida infections and HIV and AIDS.
Aids is a very dangerous disease. The full meaning of AIDS is Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. An aid is caused by a virus called Human Immune deficiency Virus (HIV). HIV-AIDS has no cure yet. Human body has an Immune defense system which protects our bodies against attacks from diseases. The virus (HIV) damages this Immune defense system.
When the virus is in the body; it is said to be HIV positive and that is what develops to HIV-AIDS. When this happens, the person’s body will not be able to fight any other diseases (such as fever, cough, tuberculosis, pneumonia etc) that attack person. The person will die after some time. HIV-AIDS can affect anybody no matter the age.
Safe age for reproduction:
The safe age for reproduction is when somebody is fully matured and ready to take responsibilities. You have to answer the following questions:
- Are you matured enough, physically, socially and emotionally?
- Have you finished schooling?
- Do you have a good job to take care of the family you are about to start raising up?
Prevention of HIV\AIDS and STI’s
Signs of HIV\AIDS, how to detect it, how it can be transferred, and prevention of HIV\AIDS and STI’s.
Signs of AIDS
- Unexpected weight loss
- Getting tired easily
- Fever that is lasting more than one month.
- Diarrhea which is longer than one man
- Cold sores (wounds) all over the body
- Swollen glands at two or more places on the body for more than three months
- Sweating profusely.
How to detect HIV:
It can only be detected through blood test. It does not show in face or body, until it develops into AIDS. It can be passed from man to woman or woman to man.
Ways through which AIDS can be transferred:
- Through sexual intercourse
- Transfusion of unscreened blood
- Contaminated injection needles and syringes, razor blades, knife and other sharp objects.
- Through contaminated instrument during ear piercing, circumcision and putting of tribal marks
- Pregnant mothers to unborn babies
Prevention of STI’s, HIV-AIDS:
I. Abstinence from sex when you are not married
II. Husbands and wives should be faithful to each other
III. Use sterilized clippers, needles and injections
IV. Screen the blood vary well before transfusion or passing to the
body of a sick person. Safe age for reproduction is full adult.
V. Boys and girls should wait till time of marriage before having sex.
VI. Do not have boy or girl friend before marriage.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
- What are sexually transmitted diseases?
- What is the full meaning of HIV and AIDS?
- Examples of STI are? (3 Examples)
- STI fully means
- What are antibodies and what are their functions?
- What are ways of preventing STI and HIV
- Name three diseases that are caused by contact with human waste and dirty water.
- How can you detect HIV-AIDS
- What is the function of the body immune defense system?
The class teacher does the necessary corrections and he or she goes round to mark .
The class teacher should stimulate the pupils’ interest on
and make them to read or learn about it as they prepare for the next lesson .