Labour saving devices:
(i) use of labour saving devices
(ii) importance of labour saving devices in the kitchen
(iii) Operation of labour saving devices
(iv) Factors to consider purchasing/selecting labour saving devices
SUBJECT: FOOD AND NUTRITION
TOPIC: Labour saving devices
CONTENT: (i) uses of labour saving devices
- importance of labour saving devices in the kitchen
- Operation of labour saving devices
- Factors to consider when purchasing/selecting labour saving devices
SUBTOPIC 1: use of labour saving devices, importance of labour saving devices in the kitchen.
Labour saving devices are pieces of equipment that reduce the physical task involved in carrying out some cooking processes. For a home-maker to manage the household task and avoid exhaustion, it is necessary for him or her to use labour saving devices or equipment. These include:
Uses: for pureeing and grinding ingredients
- Wipe base with napkin
- Wash cup without allowing water to touch the bottom
Uses: to mix cake and pastries
- Wipe base with wet napkin
- Wash mixing bowl and attachments with warm soapy water, dry and store in a dry place.
- Orange squeezer:
Uses: for squeezing juice of fruit e.g. orange, grape, lemon etc.
Care: wash in warm soapy water, rinse and dry before storing
- Pressure cooker:
Uses: for cooking food. It is fast and saves fuel.
Care: follow instructions for use.
Wash with warm soapy water
Rinse and dry before storing
- Meat mincer:
Uses: for grinding meat
For nuts and vegetables
- Separate the blade, wash with warm soapy water
- rinse and dry
- Wrap blade in greases paper and store in a dry place
- Yam Pounder:
Uses: to pound yam
- Wipe base with wet napkin
- Separate accessories, wash with soapy water, rinse and dry.
IMPORTANCE OF LABOUR SAVING DEVICES
Labour saving devices are important because of the following:
- Labour saving devices help one to accomplish a given piece of work within the medium expenditure of time and energy.
- It cuts down the number of movements and improves the type of motion on a specific task
- It helps the home – maker to have free time for rest and leisure.
- It reduces the overall boredom, frustration or fatigue resulting from the monotony of long accustomed and routine habit of house work.
- It reduces the amount of time on a particular job e.g. blender, meat mincer
Sub-Topic 2: OPERATION OF LABOUR SAVING DEVICE, Factors to consider when purchasing/selecting labour saving devices
Operation of labour saving device includes:
Operations: mixers contain beaters, whisks or dough hooks efficient in rubbin in, whisked, creamed or dough mixes
Operation: to toast bread, pre-set to give correct time
- Dish washers:
Operation: large machine usually plumbed into water with high pressure jets of water, very efficient and hygienic. Plates and cups are fixed in racks and sprayed with water and detergent.
- Blenders or liquidizer:
Operation: reduce semi-solid materials to a pulp, it can be used of sieving, e.g. soap making, baby foods
Operation: high speed blades combine slice or chop ingredients
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING LABOUR SAVING DEVICES
The following factors can be considered when choosing labour saving devices.
- Buy high quality equipment, not inferior ones that will spoil easily and cost a lot of money to repair
- Choose labour saving devices that can be easily manipulated
- Buy equipment or devices that are in agreement with the standard of your kitchen
- Buy equipment or devices that are absolutely essential
- Choose devices that can be easily maintained
- Buy suitable size for the requirement of the family
- Money available
- Why do you have to buy good quality devices
- Name three (3) other factors that you need to consider when choosing labour saving de
- How will you operate a toaster?
- Mention one technique of operating liquidizer
- Define labour saving devices
- Mention two (2) ways of caring for yam pounder
- Name three(3) other useful labour saving devices in the kitchen
- State the uses of the following:
- Orange squeezer (b) mixer
- Mention two ways on how to care for pressure cooker
- The fastest way of cooking cow is to use a……………. (a) electric cooker (b) gas cooker (c) pressure cooker (d) kerosene stove
- Buy equipment that are in agreement with your standard of:
- Bathroom (b) store (c) bedroom (d) kitchen
- Mixer contains ______.(a) cups (b) iron (c) bottles (d) beaters
- One of the following is specially made to reduce the cooking time of food.
- Sauce pans (b) pressure cooker (c) frying pans (d) patty pans
- _________ is used for mixing cake and pastry. (a) spoon (b) spatula (c) mixer (d) fork
- Labour saving devices help to simplify and work. (a) false (b) true (c) do not know (d) all of the above
- Labour saving devices used for pureeing ingredients is called __________. (a) rolling (b) pin (c) paddle (c) blender (d) whisk
- When buying saucepan, the home maker should consider……………….. (a) colour, handle, cost, durability (b) storage, space, size, ease of cleaning, (c) quality, size, efficiency, cost (d) family size, cost, colour weight.
PRE-READING ASSIGNMENT: Read about time and energy management in food preparation.
– Evans food and nutrition for senior secondary schools book2 by F.A. Bakare et al; Evans Brothers Nigeria Limited.