Last Updated on June 6, 2021 by Edu Delight Tutors
INTRODUCTION TO SCIENCE
FIRST TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE
Term : First Term
Week: Week 1
Class : JSS 1
Previous lesson : The pupils have previous knowledge of
INTRODUCTION TO SCIENCE
- Definition of Science
- How to Study Science
- The Branches of Science
- Uses of Science
Behavioural objectives :
By the end of the lesson, the learners will be able to
- define science
- explain how to study science
- list the branches of science
- write out the uses or importance of sciences
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
- Precious seed BASIC SCIENCE FOR JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS BOOK 1
- NIGERIAN BASIC SCIENCE PROJECT BOOK ONE,
Definition of Science
Science is the systematic study of living things and non living things in our eco system . It is the application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence
It is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
Basic science is a subject that introduces sciences to mankind.
How to Study Science
Science can be studied through the following ways:
- Hypothesis or scientific guess
- Recording of result gotten from experiment
The Branches of Science
Science can be divided into different branches based on what they studied such as:
- Life Sciences: This area deals with the study of living things e.g. biology, botany, zoology etc.
- Physical Sciences: This area deals with study of matter and energy e.g. physics, chemistry and astronomy
- Earth Sciences: It studies about the structures and compositions of the earth e.g. geography and geology
Uses or Importance of Science
These are the importance and benefits of science to human beings. Such as its uses in:
- Medicine to cure and prevent diseases
- Engineering and Technology e.g. production of cars, phones, books etc.
- Construction e.g. skyscrapers, bridges, houses etc.
- Games and leisure
- Power and Electricity
- Information Communication Technology ( ICT)
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher corrects the pupils when and where the needs arise .
- What is science?
- Highlight the methods of studying science.
- List 4 uses of science.
- Define science
- Explain how to study science
- List Four branches of science
- Write out five uses or importance of sciences
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.