NATIONAL VALUES THAT BUILD UP A NATION
FIRST TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
CLASS: JSS 1
TOPIC : NATIONAL VALUES
TERM : FIRST TERM
WEEK : WEEK 1 & 2
PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE : Pupils have previous knowledge of some civic education topics that have been taught in their various previous classes
BEHAVIUORAL OBJECTIVES :
At the end of the lesson , pupils should be able to
- Mention some national values that build up a nation
- describe what these national values are
- write out examples of National values
- say what every Nigerian must do to lift up this great nation of ours
INSTRUCTIONAL MAATERIALS :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
METHODS OF TEACHING :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
REFERENCE MATERIALS :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
The word, values, has so many meanings depending on the context it is used. When used in relation to Civic Education, it is defined as the moral principles and standards which guide human actions. Such principles are highly appreciated by people in the society. This is so because they make society what it should be: peaceful and progressive. The acceptable societal values include honesty integrity, courage, loyalty etc.
There are different types of values. The basic human values are as follows:
- Honesty – This is the ability to tell the truth.
- Respect – This is treating everyone including you with dignity.
- Self-control – This is being able to control your own action.
- Equality– This is understanding that all people have equal rights.
LEVELS OF MANIFESTATION OF VALUES
Values are often manifested in various ways for individual and societal growth and development. There must be value manifestation and clarification. It helps individuals to recognize their values and affirm them publicly.
1. Individual Level– An individual manifests values by being different no matter what others may do. For instance, a student who believes in honesty will vehemently refuse to cheat in an examination hall.
2. Societal Level: This means principles and standard which dictate and influence human behaviors and interactions in the society. They are principles like time consciousness, honesty, discipline etc.
FACTORS THAT PROMOTE VALUE SYSTEMS
Value system helps an individual in goal selection. Value systems are normally promoted by the following:
- Consistency– This is an act of doing the same thing regularly without changing it. It makes an individual to stay focused on what he is doing.
- Integrity – This is an act of being honest and possessing strong moral principles. Integrity as a value makes a man reject bribes and disdain every act of corruption.
- Trust – This is the belief that somebody or something is good, sincere, honest etc. It promotes values by removing suspicion from people in the society.
- Tolerance – This refers to the willingness to accept opinions or behaviours of other people who may not like you. It makes one to respect other peoples views, culture and religion
IMPORTANCE OF VALUE
- Values promote good relationship in the society.
- They control our behavior in the society.
- They help in goal setting.
- They determine how set-goals are achieved.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
1.What is a value?
2. Mention three types of values.
3. Discuss how values could help in goal-setting.
4. State the difference between the two levels of values.
5. Mention three factors that promote the value system.
6. Mention two importance of values.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for Basic 7 (JSS 1) Sola Akinyemipgs 8-18
1. Mention three importance of values in the society
2. Mention two factors that promote the value system.
1. _______ is defined as the moral principles and standards which guide human actions.
A. Watchdog B. Values C. Family D. Culture
2. There are ____ levels of the manifestation of values
A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 5
3. There are factors that promote value system except______
A. integrity B. tolerance C. chaos D. consistency
4. The following are types of values except _____.
A. Self control B. arson C. honesty D. loyalty
5. _______ is the belief that somebody or something is good or sincere.
A. Consistency B. Trust C. Honesty D. Courage
(Visited 3,757 times, 38 visits today)