Subject : Civic Education
Class : Primary 4
Term : First Term
Local Government in Nigeria
At the end of the lesson pupils should be able to:
- a) Meaning of local government
- b) Duties of local government e.g. provision of social amenities such as market schools, pipe borne water e.t.c
Instructional material/Reference material: Textbook, Charts and pictures
Building Background /connection to prior knowledge: Pupils are familiar with topic.
The local government
The meaning of local government
The Local government is the government at the grassroot.
It is the closet tier of government to the people at the grassroot.
The head of the Local government is the chairman.
There are 774 local government councils in nigerial.
There are twelve local government in lagos and thirty seven local development council
The local government is the last or third level of government in a federation like Nigeria. The levels of government in a federation are the Federal, State and Local governments.
The local government is a body of people who control public affairs at the grassroots. It can also be called the nearest or closest government to the people in any community.
Duties of the local government
- It maintains law and order in the community.
- It collects rates and gives licenses for bicycles, trucks, canoes, wheelbarrows, carts, television sets, radio sets, etc.
- It constructs and maintains local roads called Trunk C roads.
- It maintains drains, parks, open spaces and other public facilities, such as recreation centres.
- It names roads and streets, and also numbers homes.
- It registers births, deaths and marriages.
- It provides and maintains health services, e.g. dispensaries, health centres and maternity centres.
- It establishes and maintains cemetery and homes for the homeless.
- It provides other social amenities, like water and market stalls.
- Explain the meaning of government.
- Explain traditional form of government.
(Visited 104 times, 1 visits today)