Physical And Health Education
Instructional Materials :
- weather chart
- videos explaining weather conditions
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have previous knowledge of changes in non living things
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- define weather
- explain the Meaning of Weather
- say the Factors affecting the weather
- recognize and point out Weather instruments
- write out or draw weather symbols
Weather is the the condition of the atmosphere for a very short period of time hence the weather may be cloudy in the morning and be sunny some few minutes later. Therefore the weather may be sunny, windy , cloudy, or hot
Climate is the weather condition of a place for a very long period of timer .
A person that studies the weather and predict the weather is called a Meteorologist or weather forecaster.
Factors affecting Weather
The condition of the weather affect the way we behave and react.
There are different factors that affect weather, these are:
- Atmospheric pressure
Weather instrument and functions
The following are weather instruments:
- Thermometer – it is used to measure the temperature of a person.
- Barometer – it is used to measure the pressure of the atmosphere.
- Anemometer – it is used to measure the speed of the wind.
- Rain gauge – it is used to measure the quantity or amount of rainfall.
- Hygrometer – it is used to measure water vapor in the air (relative humidity).
- Clock – it is used to show time.
- Photometer – used to measure Light intensity.
- Wind Vane – It is used ti measure the direction of the wind
Meteorologist make use of these symbols when recording and forecasting weather.
The following are some of the symbols used to observe the condition of weather.
Global warming is an increase in the average temperature of the earth’s atmosphere that leads to the change of climate.
This is caused by the release of harmful gases like carbon dioxide (co2), chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) into the atmosphere.
The effect of global warming
- Rising sea level
- Increase in temperature
- Excessive flood.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
- Define weather.
- Identify the factors affecting weather.
- Mention weather instruments
- Identify and write simple weather symbols.
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about WEATHER SYMBOL AND RECORD CHART
(Visited 646 times, 3 visits today)