Subject :BASIC Science and Technology
- Relationship between Degree Celsius and Degree Fahrenheit
- Units and Symbols of temperature scale
- Some uses of thermometer
- Taking measurement with clinical thermometer
Class : Primary 5
Term :Third Term
Week : Week 8
A chart showing different thermometers
Flask of hot water
Some ice water
Scheme of work
All relevant materials
Previous Knowledge :The pupils have been taught The meaning of heat and temperature. They have also been taught the differences between heat and temperature.
Behavioural Objectives :At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- Say the units and symbols of temperature scales
- Explain the relationship between Degree Celsius and Degree Fahrenheit
- Mention the various uses of thermometer
- Stimulate or demonstrate how to use the thermometer to measure temperature
Temperature is the degree of hotness or coldness of the body or place
Heat is the transfer of hotness from the region of hotness to coldness
The basic unit of measuring heat is joule and the basic unit of measuring temperature is kelvin
Heat is a form of energy that increases the level of hotness of the body.
Temperature is the degree of hotness or coldness of the body –water, iron, food etc.
Heat and temperature are often used as if they are used as the same thing.. When substance is hot,the temperature is high and when substance is less hot, the temperature is lower. Temperature can be measured with thermometer.
Thermometer is a device used for measuring the temperature of the body.
TYPES OF THERMOMETER
Clinical or medical thermometer: it is used to measure body temperature
Laboratory thermometer: it is used to measure the temperature of an experiment.
Infrared ear thermometer :it is used to measure the temperature in the ear.
Infrared thermometer: it is used to measure the temperature of a surface. For example, forehead.
Digital or analogue thermometer: thermometer are either in digital or analogue mode.
USES OF THERMOMETER
By now you know that a thermometer is used for measuring temperature. You may wonder what other uses it has. What matters is the type of temperature being measured and the reason for
Measuring it. Special thermometers are used for different purposes. You will have to study such thermometers in the actual places where they are used. So your teacher will take you out to the following places:
1. Any weather observation centre to see:
a) The simple thermometer and how it is used to record temperature at regular intervals.
b) The maximum-and-minimum thermometer and how it is used to record the maximum and minimum temperatures every 24 hours.
2. A hospital to see:
a) The simple thermometer and how it is used to measure the temperature of various substances.
b) The clinical thermometer and how it is used to measure the human body temperature.
3. A catering department or catering school to see:
a) How thermometers are used to measure the temperatures of various items.
b) How the thermometers that are built into some equipment work, particularly those built into stoves and ovens.
4. A chemical factory to see special types of thermometers and how they are used for measuring very high and very low temperatures.
Celsius scale , Kelvin scale , and Fahrenheit scale on the Temperature Conversions Table
Convert Celsius to Fahrenheit ° F = 9/5 ( ° C) + 32
Change Kelvin to Fahrenheit ° F = 9/5 (K – 273) + 32
Change Fahrenheit to Celsius ° C = 5/9 (° F – 32)
The formula = Convert Celsius to Kelvin K = ° C + 273
The formula = Change Kelvin to Celsius ° C = K – 273
Some Uses of Thermometer
- To measure the temperature of the body
- To measure the temperature of a place
- To monitor the normal body temperature which is 37 degree Celsius
- The normal temperature of boiling water is 100 degree Celsius
Taking measurement with clinical thermometer
- Visit any clinic in your locality
- Talk to the nurse on duty
- Let the nurse on duty show you a clinical thermometer
- Take the measurement of your body temperature
- Record tour answers in degree Celsius or degree Fahrenheit
- Discuss the implication of your body temperature to know if is healthy or not
The topic is presented step by step
Step 1: The class teacher revises the previous topics
Step 2. He introduces the new topic
Step 3: The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
- What is the basic Ṣí unit of measuring temperature……
- What is the basic unit of measuring heat………
- What is the unit or symbol of heat
- What is the unit or symbol of temperature
- Convert 247 degree Fahrenheit to degree Celsius
- Convert 125 degree Celsius to degree Fahrenheit
- ……… Is used to measure the temperature of the body or place
- …. degree Celsius is the normal body temperature.
Conclusion : The class teacher gives a brief note on the topic and he goes round to mark
ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
1. Explain the meaning of heat and energy
2. Differentiate between heat and energy
Complete the following sentences
1. As water is being heated gradually, the temperature______
When the source of heat is removed, the temperature ____
The temperature of ice cube is ______________ than that
of ordinary water, but the temperature of boiling water is
Suggestions for next lesson : Read about types of electricity
(Visited 347 times, 1 visits today)