Subject : Agricultural Science
Class : Jss1, Year 7
Term : Second Term
TOPIC: FORMS OF FARM ANIMALS.
CONTENT: (i) Meaning of Farm Animals
(ii) Forms of Farm Animals
(iii) characteristics of farm animals.
Sub –Topic 1: Meaning of farm animals
Farm animals are animals that are reared by man for different purposes. Farm animals include goats, sheep. Rabbits, poultry, cattle, pigs fish, snails etc.
Forms of farm animals
These are animals that are used for work on the farm. they are used for carrying loads, ploughing, harrowing and ridging.
Examples of work animals are cattle e. g bullocks [Sokoto Gudali , White Fulani] , horses, camels and donkeys. These animals are referred to as beasts of burden.
• They are well built with good body conformation.
• They can survive or travel long distance without water.
• They are rugged and have very great strength.
These are animals reared purposely for milk production. Examples are cattle[White Fulani, Sokoto Gudali Red Bororo]; Goats[Nubian goats, Jumnapari and surti of Indian]. Milk provides protein vitamins and minerals.
• They are lean and have angular form of body.
• They have well developed mammary gland system.
• They have high food conversion efficiency for production of milk.
3.Guard Animals: These are animals domesticated or tamed and used for protecting life and properties from danger .
Examples are dogs, parrot, cat etc.
• They are easily controlled.
• Most of them are of an average size.
• They can be trained snd tamed to suit our purpose e.g security.
• They are sensitive to human behavior.
- What are farm animals?
- Mention four examples of farm animals?
- What are work animals?
- Give four examples of work animals
- What are dairy animals?
- Give four examples of dairy animals
- What animals can be used as guard animals?
- Give four examples of guard animals
- Lions, leapard and tigers are examples of guard animals? True or false
- Is goat a dairy animal? Is goat milk good for man’s consumption?
Explain the following with examples [I ]Guard animals
[ii] Dairy animals.
[iii] Work animals.
(Visited 2,939 times, 5 visits today)